motor photos

Here are the exhaust tappet guides for my motor.  we are not going to run valve spring covers so we took the caps off and turned them down.  now the valve springs will be out in the open.
d
here is a shot of the intake tappet guides.

The races in my connecting rods were junk, so we bought some new ones from Lonnie and pressed them in.  They are a .004 press fit

we gad to surface grind a little bit off of the female rod races, but it only took a few minutes
here is a shot of carl honing the rods.  They needed to be opened up so that we had .0015  clearance with standard bearings.

Here is a shot of boring the case out on the mill.

here is a cool shot of all the parts for the bottom end of the motor.  We got the cases polished by our friend Pat Obinger.  Thanks pat!

The connecting rods also needed new wrist pin bushings.   Our friend George hooked us up with some original rod bearing cages   The pistons are cast aluminum with a steel strut.   They are ceramic coated on the top and have a moly coating on the skirts.

Here is a shot of the lightened flywheels.  They were a set that were in my dads 29 motor.  we picked them because of the holes drilled up by the crank pin area, in hindsight this was a mistake, but learning is what makes a project like this fun.

When we narrowed up the flywheels, we took too much weight out of the inside part.   This meant that we had to window pane the crank pin side to get them to balance at 60 percent

After Matt and Jesse got the flywheels balanced up, we put the the bottom end together. here is a shot of the rods on the crank pin.

Here they are in the truing stand.  When Carl trued them,  he said that they flexed too much, and that he didn’t trust them in a motor, so that meant we had to modify another set!  I guess its better to replace the wheels now, than after the explode in an engine.

Here is a shot of the cases with the cam cover on.

This is the inside of the case right case before the cam plate was installed.

Even though the flywheels were not usable, we put them in the the cases to double check our machine work on the flywheels.  The machine work was good, and the rods were pretty centered in the cases, but we did discover that we had the wrong sprocket shaft!!!!!  The shaft that we picked out was a 25 and later one and too long!   Dangit, so now we will order the right one.
 Since our flywheels had to be replaced we took a set of new truett and osbourne torque monster wheels and modified them a bit.   Matt and Jesse removed three pounds from each one, and they weigh 10.8 pounds now.
Here is a side profile shot.  It is a lot better to take weight off of the outside, so that you dont mess up the counterweight on the inside.

They balanced up really nicely and are ready to go together as soon as we get the right sprocket shaft.   Overall we have been learning a lot about j engines.  Thanks to Mike, Matt and George for all of your help and advice.   See you guys out on the track!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: